The type of scoliosis brace you’re prescribed, whether it is a soft scoliosis brace or not, depends entirely on the prognosis of your chiropractor.
Scoliosis Braces and How They’re Used
As we covered previously, the TLSO brace is custom molded from plastic and fitted to the child’s body, typically worn under clothing. Boston scoliosis brace deters the progression of scoliosis in the lumbar or the thoracic region of the spine. The TLSO brace can be unstrapped from the body when engaging in physical activities like swimming.
Charleston Bending Braces
Charleston Bending Braces are only worn at night when the child is sleeping. These braces are molded to the Scoliosis patient while they are bent to the side, applying more pressure and bending the patient against the curvature. Charleston Bending Braces prevents potential stigma to the teenagers. They are worn when participating in all activities, including sporting. The curves must be between 20-40 degrees and the apex of the curve below the shoulder level for the brace to be effective.
Benefits of Scoliosis Braces
1. Scoliosis braces make transition movements more comfortable when you are experiencing back pains.
2. They slow the progression of scoliosis in adolescents, thus avoiding the need for a painful and costly surgical treatment option.
3. Braces help in the stabilization of the spine when used immediately after surgery.
4. Braces improve posture and support the abdomen, relieving the lower back pressure and pain. Scoliosis braces improve the quality of life.
Factors That Determine The Most Suitable Brace For A Scoliosis Patient
The various types of braces are considered to be rigid or dynamic. You will first be examined by an orthotist, in consultation with your doctor. Scoliosis braces only work when worn as recommended by the health practitioners. Some factors which determine the kind of brace that is best for you are listed below.
– The flexibility of your curve
– Position and rotation of some vertebrae in your spine
– The location of your curve along the spine
– The number of curves that you have
– The position of the curve in your spine
– Other medical conditions that you may have
– Your lifestyle and activities
Tips For Best Results with Scoliosis Braces
The following factors should be taken into considerations fro the best results with scoliosis braces.
The use of braces in treating scoliosis is advisable when the curve is between 25-40 degrees and the when skeletal muscles are still immature. The skeletal muscles are not yet fully developed hence the progression of the curve can easily be stopped at this stage of the condition.
Scoliosis can also affect adults, which we will cover in the next portion of our article. For the moment, you might want to consider getting a soft scoliosis brace.
Pivonka Family Chiropractic
1355 S Higley Rd #102
Gilbert, AZ 85296