Don’t be scared of scoliosis, or more accurately, don’t be scared of having to get a scoliosis brace. It isn’t as bad as you might think…
Your Scoliosis Brace
Before you get fitted for a scoliosis brace, know that scoliosis is a spinal curvature that is lateral, making the spine take an “S” shape. A spine of someone suffering from this condition curves from side to side unlike that of a healthy person which is straight from top to bottom. There are several types of the conditions though they are usually based on the cause and age at which they occur. When the condition occurs, the patient spine tends to curve in one of the following three ways:
– The spine having two curves.
– It may curve to the side as a single curve to the right which is usually shaped like a letter C looking backwards. This condition is known as dextroscoliosis.
– The spine may also curve to the side as a single curve to the left, thus shaped like a letter C. the condition is known as levoscoliosis.
The cause of this condition is not clearly known though it can be caused by diseases such as cerebral palsy and muscular dystrophy. It occurs mostly in late childhood or early teenage life. Physical signs and symptoms of scoliosis include:
– A curved spine that is visible from sideways, front or back.
– A tendency of leaning on one side.
– Clothes seem not to hang properly in the body.
– One shoulder or hip seems to be bigger than the other.
– Back pain but this only happens to adults suffering from the condition.
Do I Need a Scoliosis Brace?
A scoliosis brace is only one treatment option. Others include observation and surgery. The prescribed treatment depends upon several factors including how bad your spinal curvature is, and whether the condition shows signs of either improving or getting worse. Ultimately, it’s your spinal doctor who will help you to decide which course of action to follow. Once prescribed however, you should follow his or her recommendations diligently. Otherwise, you could find your curvature so bad that you have nothing but pain for the rest of your life, and who would want that?
Ultimately, remember that you are responsible for your health. So eat right and get plenty of rest. And if one has been prescribed to you, wear your scoliosis brace each and every day.
The chiropractors at Pivonka Family Chiropractic wish you and yours a safe and happy Halloween.
Read more about scoliosis braces…
Pivonka Family Chiropractic
1355 S Higley Rd #102
Gilbert, AZ 85296